Thursday, September 12, 2013

Walk With Me ~ Pioneer Trek 2013

For the last year of our lives we had the awesome opportunity to plan and organize a trek for our stake. This was such a great learning experience for us and we were so blessed by it.  This was the first trek our stake had done so we kind of had to start rock bottom and work our way up. It turned out amazing thanks to all the wonderful individuals of our stake who contributed!

The theme that we chose was "Walk with Me", we chose this because we really like the idea of the youth learning to walk with our Savior more and also "walking" with the pioneers.  We all could use the reminder every day that Christ is right there beside us at every moment, all we have to do is reach out to Him.

Our trek took place at Martin's Cove Wyoming. It was cool to be trekking on the actual trail the pioneers trekked.  The missionaries there are great and they shared some really cool stories and experiences with us.  The first night we were there we played pioneer games.  It was really entertaining to watch the kids, and we even got in on a couple of the activities also!

The second day was our really long pull day.  We went over Rocky Ridge, about 14 miles.  There were some great moments along the way.  One of my favorites was the Jens and Elsie Neilson reenactment.  We were told this story by a missionary who was the great great grandon of Jens, it was awesome to hear it from him.  Jens and Elsie were in the Willie Handcart Company along with their son and a young girl named Bodil Mortensen who's family couldn't afford to go all together so her father sent her along to help the Neilson's.  After trekking for many days and making it over Rocky Ridge, they were out of food and in desperate need.  Thirteen members of the company died there, including their son, Neils and Bodil.  Jens arrived in Rock Creek with frozen feet and felt he could not walk another step.  He told Elsie to leave him by the trail to die in the snow, but Elsie wouldn't do it.  She couldn't go on without him.  She put him in the handcart and pulled along.  She later stated that she knew angels were helping her.  We had a great family reenact this and it brought tears to everyone's eyes.

The Womens' Pull was another of my favorite moments.  But for a different reason than I expected.  As the men were leaving to walk up the hill, the missionary told us to put our hands over our hearts and watch the Priesthood leave.  I stood there watching my husband walk up that hill and my heart was beyond full.  I couldn't wait to get back up that hill to be back by his side.  I thought of what my life would be like without him, or without the Priesthood and I know that neither would be a pretty option.  Once I got back to him I just hugged him and hugged him, words could not express the love that I felt at that moment.  I feel like it was just a teeny tiny glimpse of the wonderful reunion all those who have the blessing of being sealed in the temple will have when we reach the other side.  The Womens' Pull was also a time to see the strength of our youth. I admire them so much, and admire their strength in their challenges.  There was one boy who said that he hated watching the women and girls struggle to get up that hill because it reminded him of watching his mom struggle with cancer, and eventually succumbing to that disease.  I was so impressed by him and his ability to relate the trek experience to his real life.  That's what it's all about!

The third day we walked through Martins Cove.  Unfortunately it was beyond ridiculously hot so the Spirit wasn't as strong because we were all too distracted by how hot it was and worried about making sure everyone stayed hydrated. But it is a beautiful area and the spirit of the pioneers is strong there.

We loved this calling.  We received this calling in an odd way.. originally a different couple in our ward was called, after they were sustained Nate went over to them to congratulate them and tell them that they had just received the greatest calling in the whole church.  They looked at him like he was crazy but he just kept going on and on about how much he loves trek.  Well lo and behold, a short while later they found out they had to move.  When the stake presidency member met with them about it, he asked if they had any ideas of someone to replace them and they told him about this crazy couple in their ward that said it was the greatest calling in the church.  How can you say no to that??  Nate was ecstatic!  He truly does have an amazing testimony of trek.  I was sure that this was a calling from the Lord, but I was far from sure that this was the greatest calling in the church!  I went on trek as a youth and it was great, but I could have never gone again and felt great about it.  But as He often does, the Lord softened my heart and helped me to see how amazing trek truly is.  We witnessed so many miracles, too many to even count, and I know it is because the Lord uses trek to change lives.  I saw it happen.  I learned and grew so much from this whole process.  And what a blessing to be able to do it with Nate.  He is definitely my better half.   The Lord blessed us in so many ways, completely unrelated to trek, while we were fulfilling this calling.  I am so grateful that we had this challenge and I am so grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

**Sorry there are no pictures... I can't figure out how to download them :(

No comments:

Post a Comment